In 1911, land was purchased from Hugh Fletcher by C.N.R and since it was the highest point of land on the railway between Saskatoon and Calgary it was registered in the Land Titles Office as Highland. Main Street was laid out to run East and West. Homesteaders and others gravitated to the location and in Fall of 1911 the first lumber was stock piled by A.M. Dunn, who was first to own a store.
In 1912 M. Henry Ballf established his blacksmith shop, L.A. Flett started a livery stable, the Crown Lumber Co, with L.L. Speelman as manager opened a lumberyard, as well as the Canadian Bank of Commerce. These were soon to be joined by butcher Jack Harrison, realtor ‘Dad’ Wallace, barber George Chambers, implement dealer A.J. Campbell, restaurateur Dock Keith and his waitress Verna Smith.
Just seven miles northwest was the “Delia Stopping House” on the Stettler Trail. A.L. Davis operated this establishment named after his wife, Mrs. Delia Davis. The Davis homestead became the site of the Delia Post Office.
The homesteaders petitioned for and secured a post office called the Delia Post Office. This post office was moved three times before finally settling in to the Dunn store in Highland. Due to the confusion because of the two names, the authorities were prevailed upon to sanction the one identity and the settlement became Delia.
On October 26, 1913 the first mixed train went through Delia. The Railway was making their final survey; they decided they streets had to run parallel with the railroad. Businesses would have to pick up and move and that they did!