The next regular Municipal General Election will take place on October 18, 2021.
Nominations for the election of candidates for the following offices will be received at the location of the local jurisdiction office set out below.
Councilors – 3
Local Jurisdiction Office:
Village of Delia
218 Main Street
Delia, AB, T0J 0W0
We ask that candidates call the Town Office at (403) 364-3787 to make an appointment to submit their nomination papers between the hours of 10 AM to 4:00 PM, Tuesday to Thursday.
Section 21 of the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) outlines the qualifications of a Candidate. Eligibility requirements for a person to be nominated as a Candidate on Nomination Day (from January 5, 2021, to noon on September 20, 2021) include:
- The potential Candidate is eligible to vote in the election when the Candidate:
- is at least 18 years old,
- is a Canadian citizen, and
- resides in the Village on Election Day;
- The potential Candidate has lived in the Village for 6 consecutive months (March 18, 2021) immediately before Nomination Day; and
- The potential Candidate is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified.
The Nomination Paper and Candidate Acceptance (Form 4) must be completed and requires the Candidate to sign an affidavit confirming:
- that they are eligible to be elected;
- will accept the office if elected; and
- have reviewed the LAEA.
The Candidate must swear or affirm the affidavit before the Returning Officer or a Commissioner for Oaths and return the form to the Returning Officer.
The nominated Candidate is responsible for ensuring that the nomination paper filed is fully completed and meets the requirements of the LAEA. If a nomination is challenged, the courts will assess eligibility.
In accordance with Section 151 of the LAEA, it is an offence for a Candidate to sign a Candidate’s Acceptance Form that contains a false statement, which is subject to a fine of up to $1,000.
Ineligibility for Nomination as a Candidate
Sections 22 and 23 of the LAEA provide an overview of instances when a person is ineligible to be nominated as a Candidate in a municipal election. Some of those instances include when:
- the person is an auditor for the Village;
- the person is an employee of the Village, unless that person takes a leave of absence;
- the person’s Village property taxes are more than $50 in arrears, not including current taxes or previous taxes addressed in a consolidation agreement;
- the person owes the Village any amount exceeding $500 for more than 90 days; or
- the person has, within the previous 10 years, been convicted of an offence under the LAEA, the Election Act, the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act or the Canada Elections Act.
As this information does not detail all instances of ineligibility, Candidates are responsible for consulting the LAEA. It is the Candidate’s responsibility to ensure they are eligible for nomination.
Nomination Day for the offices of Councillor is Monday, September 20, 2021. The Candidate may file their nomination papers any time between January 1, 2021, until 12:00 noon on September 20, 2021.
Every nomination of a Candidate shall be completed through the submission of a Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance. Each nomination form must be fully completed, and include the signatures of at least 5 eligible Electors. To ensure the validity of nominations, a Candidate may submit more than the required 5 Electors’ signatures. If a nomination is not signed by at least 5 Electors, the Returning Officer cannot accept the form.
The Village does not collect a deposit to file nomination papers.
Filing of Nomination Papers
Nominations for the offices of Councillor will be accepted by appointment with the Returning Officer beginning on January 5, 2021, until 12:00 noon on September 20, 2021. Nomination forms are to be filed with Legislative Services by appointment at Village of Delia, located at 218 Main Street, Delia, AB. The Returning Officer is unable to accept nominations before January 5, 2021, or after 12:00 noon on Nomination Day. Electronically submitted copies will not be accepted.
After 12:00 noon on Nomination Day, any person may make a request to examine the filed nomination papers by contacting the Returning Officer to make arrangements.
The Candidate is responsible for ensuring that the nomination filed meets the requirements of the LAEA.
Withdrawal of Nomination Papers
Within 24 hours of the close of Nomination Day at 12:00 noon on September 20, 2021, a Candidate may withdraw their nomination, provided that more than 7 Candidates for Councillors have been nominated. The Returning Officer is unable to accept a withdrawal if it would result in less than the required number of Candidates for that office.
If a Candidate wishes to withdraw their nomination papers, a written notice must be provided to the Returning Officer no later than 12:00 noon, September 21, 2021.
Election by Acclamation
If at the close of Nomination Day at 12:00 noon on September 20, 2021, the number of Candidates nominated for any office is the same as the number required to be elected, the Returning Officer shall declare the Candidates to be acclaimed to the offices for which they were nominated.
- Form 4 – Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance
- Form 5 – Candidate Financial Information
- Running for Municipal Office in Alberta; A Guide for Candidates
For more information please visit www.alberta.ca/municipal-elections-overview.aspx
Fillable forms can be found at https://www.alberta.ca/municipal-election-forms.aspx
The Village of Delia assumes no responsibility for any candidate’s failure to comply with any requirement of election procedure or legislation.
Page update: January 18, 2021